Open Grid Forum


Event Home
Event Wrapup
Registration
Program
Schedule
Call for Session Proposals
Lodging
Local Information
Venue
Travel
Participants
Sponsorship Prospectus
Student Scholarships
Event Survey

Wrapup
The 26th Open Grid Forum - OGF26
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
May 26-28, 2009

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 26th – 28th May 2009

Ian Osborne, Chris Smith and David Wallom

Summary

The OGF 26 event was a small, group-focused event which was intended to ensure that we are able to concentrate those members of the community that are active contributors to the groups that were meeting as well as focused workshops and BOFs. The event had 77 registered participants from 14 countries and though this is a low number as you will see a significant amount of work has been done in the three days of this meeting.

Procedurally we have two new area directors in the Standards function, in the security area Jens Jensen (STFC, UK) has taken over from David Groep and Andre Merzky (Vrije University, Netherlands) has taken over from Ellen Stokes in the Management area. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the outgoing ADs for their contributions during their terms. The event was organized with four parallel tracks with the following groups, workshops and BOFs:

Day 1
  • OGC-OGF Strategy Discussion
  • Grid Information Retrieval-WG
  • HPC-Job Delegation Profile
  • SCRM-WG
  • Transducers and DAQ systems Workshop
  • Production Grid Infrastructure-WG
Day 2
  • Digital Repositories-RG
  • Future e/Cyber infrastructure Requirements Workshop
  • Grid Resource Allocation Agreement Protocol-WG
  • Grid Interoperability Now-CG
  • Network Measurement & Control-WG
  • SAGA-WG
  • Grid Storage Management-WG
  • Network Service Interface-WG
Day 3
  • Metrics and an API for Green Computing on the Cloud BOF
  • Certificate Authority Operations-RG – IGTF Workshop
  • Enterprise Area: The Grid to Cloud Area, Workshop
  • Firewall Virtualization for Grid Applications-WG
  • Job Specification Description Language-WG
  • Network Mark-up Language-WG
  • Open Cloud Computing Interface-WG
  • Usage Records-WG


Session Outcomes

Each of these summaries were passed to the VPs for the OGF closing session presentation and as such more detailed notes for an individual group are available from their own mailing list or Gridforge page.

eResearch

Future e/Cyber Infrastructure Requirements
  • First in a series of three workshops that will aim to provide input to both the EGEE to EGI transition and the Teragrid to XD change. The primary focus will be on community requirements for interoperability.
  • This first workshop was to concentrate on the methods used in previous requirements gathering exercises in both the Europe and US.
  • There were presentations on the efforts already undertaken by UK e-Science, UK NGS, Teragrid and Globus.
  • A full OGF informational document will be produced on this session describing the benefits and disadvantages of different methods of information capture and the way ahead for a next workshop in Banff and Munich.
OGC-OGF Strategy Session
  • Presentation from George Percival, Chief architect for OGC
  • * Showed utilization of JSDL in OWS-6
  • * Showed HPC-BP usage in a few test projects
  • * Invitation to OGF members for OGF/OGC strategy session, June 23 at MIT
  • Ongoing activities
  • * Forming OGF/OGC Liaison Group
  • * Increase bandwidth of communication
  • * Aiming for an ‘OGC’ community group within e-Research function
GIR-RG
  • The group reviewed a number of new demonstration implementations that are under way
  • There will shortly be one Experimental document being published
  • Continuing the push for application development.
GIN-CG
  • Raising awareness of PGI and its progress
  • Future plans of GIN,
  • * e.g. Interop* Questionaire for OGF27 to cement community requirements from those using existing e-infrastructures
  • * (expected) benefits from interoperability, interop challenges, scientific use cases, use of comp. paradigms (e.g. HTC vs. HPC) & standards
  • Interop* views from ETSI: Interoperability and Standardization for the Telecommunications Industry
  • * Discussions of interop approaches & reference models
  • * OGF specs: BES, JSDL, SRM, GridFTP, GLUE
  • * (fits with the foundation of PGI ecosystem standards)
  • OSG & EGEE Authorization Models
  • * Hooks for other Grids that use XACML and similar policies…
  • Short updates of GIN interop* use cases
  • * DEISA-TeraGrid-LONI-UK NGS (VPH), EUFORIA (Fusion), WISDOM (LifeScience)
Metrics and an API for Green Computing on the Cloud, BOF
  • Research group rather than working group (still many issues to understand
  • ‘IEEE Energy Efficient Grids, Clouds and Clusters Workshop’ will be co-located with OGF 27 (Banff), schedule OGF session for further discussion?
  • OGF 28 (Munich) will be appropriate for more work, as there should be more interest following on from new EU research projects.
An Open Grid Protocol for Data Acquisition and Control of Transducer Systems Workshop
  • No Report from this session.

Enterprise

The Grid to Cloud Area workshop
  • The Grid to Cloud initiative in the Enterprise function
  • We invited 4 presentations from end users/ISVs from Glaxo Smith Kline; Financial Services; RENC I and SAS.
  • These presentations were designed to help us understand and better characterize the vision and requirements of “enterprise?.
  • A full report of comments and discussions is filed elsewhere. However there were several significant outcomes from the sessions:-
  1. We agreed to develop a matrix documenting the spectrum of distributed computing applications and the environments best suited for their implementation. From Grid to Cloud! This will be drafted in time for a review at OGF 27.
  2. We will develop an Obstacles and Risk Mitigation response to the original list posted in the Berkeley Paper. This will evolve from our work understanding the contributions of OGF standards.
  3. We will work within the MSC to update the Grid to Cloud 2-pager to reflect the learnings from this session. This should form the basis of comment and other PR inputs from OGF in the short term.
  4. Other OGF activities should centre around:-
  • Science Cloud looking to identify shared requirements and differences. See OGF Document GFD 150 for a current perspective on this.
  • Mapping of OGF Standards to Cloud/Utility Distributed Computing Infrastructure models. This will assist in communicating the relevance and value of the OGF standards to date.
  1. A further session in this area is planned for OGF 27. Possible focused on Oil and Gas Users and/or on development of the Matrix and Obstacles Risk/Mitigation deliverables.

Standards

DR–RG - Addressing Metadata Challenges
  • Keynote presentations from Jane Mandelbaum (Library of Congress) and Richard Marciano (UNC)
  • The group is initially focusing on metadata:
  • * Differing minimum requirements as digital objects are made available in through alternative mechanisms
  • * Tools and processes for metadata remediation
  • * Defining drivers for metadata based on satisfying scenarios coming from users.
  • Continue collection of metadata scenarios via the mailing list.
  • Next workshop probably co-located with e-Science 2009, Oxford
GRAAP-WG
  • The following documents are currently being worked on and were further discussed in the session:
  • * WS-Agreement Version 1.0 Experience document (to be submitted before OGF27)
  • * WS-Agreement Negotiation (ready 6/09)
  • * WS-Agreement Advance Reservation Profile (Draft before OGF27)
HPC Job Delegation Profile
  • Agreed to base the protocol on WS-Agreement (without extensions)
  • Term language will be done ‘real soon now’ (tm), including simple things
  • * Such as maxNumOfProcs, maxWallTime etc. as creation constraints
  • * Deadlines and due dates as guarantee terms
  • Bulk delegation (multiple jobs with one agreement) is a strong requirement from the community
JSDL-WG
  • Continuing with the Activity instance document
  • * Good progress on solid schema draft; initial spec draft
  • * Expect to be in public comment by next OGF
  • Agreed to new work items
  • * Two experience documents: SPMD, JSDL+Dependencies
  • * Mini-spec for enabling other types of resource requirements
NMC-WG
  • First official WG meeting since BOF in Barcelona
  • Progress on deliverables;
  • * D1: NMC Base Protocol
  • First draft is 46 pages of beauty and truth
  • Nearly “complete? in terms of content
  • * D2: NMC Measurement Archive
  • 37 pages, not yet complete
NSI-WG
  • To date NSI has been focused on ‘service analysis’ phase
  • The discussion identified common requirements across NSI/NML/NMC
  • * Need for greater coordination across groups
  • Formal cross attendance and representatives
  • Modularity will allow re-use
  • * Matrix of common services across infrastructure groups and nominate lead working groups.
  • * Also a need to more closely identify standards outside OGF that are relevant to NSI
PGI-WG
  • There were a number of “corridor discussions? and talks about the ongoing PGI compute ‘profile’
  • There were officially two sessions each with a different focus;
  • * Session One: PGI Security Setup
  • Jointly with outgoing and incoming OGF Security ADs
  • Discussions of how to profile elements of PGI security
  • Clarifying open questions and identified actions in terms of security
  • * Session Two: PGI Data Setup
  • Joint session with members of the GSM-WG
  • Answers for numerous questions related to profiling SRM, data-staging with SRM and required security setups
  • Keeping links to other Working groups up to date
  • * Chair attended GSM-WG session & JSDL general session
  • * Raised awareness of PGI feedback, discussed plans & synergies
SAGA-WG
  • The current documentation and implementation landscape were presented and discussed, and are looking healthy
  • Further work and actions decided for the SAGA Core Spec to get recommended status, and also for the Service Discovery Extension
  • Restarted the discussion about workflows within the group
SCRM-WG
  • Similar to the page on management standards, a wiki page on cloud standards will be created and information about cloud activities in standards organizations will be tracked. The initial page has been created, and a template for describing activities has been published.
  • There is a plan to move the SCRM wiki to an organization-neutral domain and host the wiki there. The target date for rollout is July 13th.
CAOPS-WG – IGTF Workshop
  • Worked on a draft discussion document for protection of private keys, started by David Groep, aiming mainly to document current best practice. The document mainly looks at storage of keys, but will also look at generation and use of keys.
  • A document was presented and a presentation given on CA resilience: planning for service availability.
  • We had a discussion about the need for levels of assurance.
  • The latest version of the HLCA document was discussed which aims to bring CAs not issuing end entity certificates (Higher Level CAs for lack of a better word) into their own profile. The document will be split in two, the authentication profile and a separate "design" document.
OCCI-WG
  • The OCCI working group first presented at OGF after the BoF session at OGF25
  • Currently the mailing-list and the people working on OCCI are creating a huge amount of momentum with existing providers and user groups.
  • The timeline still focuses on the delivery of an Cloud infrastructure API by OGF27
Firewall Virtualization for Grid Applications-WG
  • Presented an overview about our working group, milestones and deliverables including a presentation of FiTP: draft description of a protocol for dynamic opening of ports at firewalls. This has been available since the beginning of ’09 and was reintroduced to prompt questions. Further research will be needed to clarify, if an integration into web services would be possible.
  • Feedback received so far has been mostly positive. Alternate solutions suggested by group members were shown to be not applicable to solve the problems which our solution intends to tackle.
  • Discussion about "How to deal with protocol extension requests"
  • Next steps
  • * Get in contact with people from IETF NSIS and BEHAVE working group
  • * Implementation of a draft client and server program and test against a Linux –Firewall(iptables) including software for iptables-firewall to open ports dynamically (automatically). A simple approach here is a perl script getting packet info from a wireshark program running on the linux firewall and reconfiguring iptables when appropriate traffic has been received (scanned).
NML-WG No Report from this group though part of all the whole day networking area meetings.
  • UR-WG
  • Progressing well with Experiences document
  • * Plan to go to working group last call by end of June
  • Planning to do a Production Profile
  • * Driven by needs of production grids for ‘auditability’ and alignment with JSDL and GLUE
  • * Aim to have document finalized by end of 2009



> login   RSS RSS Contact Webmaster

OGFSM, Open Grid ForumSM, Grid ForumSM, and the OGF Logo are trademarks of OGF